Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Review: The Avery Shaw Experiment by Kelly Oram




The Avery Shaw Experiment by Kelly Oram




Publisher: Bluefields
Pages: 278 Pages 
Genre: Young Adult
Release Date: May 4, 2013
Summary:
When Avery Shaw’s heart is shattered by her life-long best friend, she chooses to deal with it the only way she knows how—scientifically.

The state science fair is coming up and Avery decides to use her broken heart as the topic of her experiment. She’s going to find the cure. By forcing herself to experience the seven stages of grief through a series of social tests, she believes she will be able to get over Aiden Kennedy and make herself ready to love again. But she can’t do this experiment alone, and her partner (ex partner!) is the one who broke her heart.

Avery finds the solution to her troubles in the form of Aiden’s older brother Grayson. The gorgeous womanizer is about to be kicked off the school basketball team for failing physics. He’s in need of a good tutor and some serious extra credit. But when Avery recruits the lovable Grayson to be her “objective outside observer,” she gets a whole lot more than she bargained for, because Grayson has a theory of his own: Avery doesn’t need to grieve. She needs to live. And if there’s one thing Grayson Kennedy is good at, it’s living life to the fullest


Rating: 


Review: 

I'm usually all in for a cute, fun, fluffy read but this book....

Arggghhh!

This book is so full of cliched characters and stereotypes, that my head hurts.

Where should I even begin?

Avery is one of those naive and weak characters I've ever had the displeasure to read (*cough*BellaSwanincludedofcourse*cough*). Imagine a girl who can do nothing but cry over every little thing whether she's happy or devastated, imagine someone who is your stereotypical geek with a fruity mouth-watering smell (I wonder what that is, like, why would someone wanna smell like food?), imagine someone who blushes beet-red at the mention of anything slightly provocative, and if you do that with a blond haired blue eyed girl in your head (yes, just that blond stereotype), you have Avery. Not that there is something wrong with girls like that having anxiety attacks or whatever, but it's only cute and bearable to an extent.

If that wasn't enough to make me run for the woods, you have Grayson.

Charming?
Yes.

Stereotyped jock with a popularity that makes him a God?
Yes.

Immensely shallow, immature and clingy?
Hell to the yes!

I tried to like him. I tried not to pass out with all the eye-rolling and sappy romance that was thrown at me and I tried, tried really hard to find anything remotely cute about Grayson and his "Aves"; but I failed big time.

Their parents were unreal. Grayson was pushy, imposing and a pervert. I think I liked Libby and I say that for her cat t-shirts and straight-forward commentary. All the other characters were a nuisance. I guess I'm being too harsh, but there wasn't any comical moment or witty humor to make me feel otherwise.

All in all, it's short and something you can read when you're not in a mood to read any serious stuff or one of your never ending sequels to a series you had the misfortune and insensibility to start... like me. You might end up liking it. It's supposed to be short and cute after all, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. So the 2 stars.

Hope you like Grayson! ;P        








(click on the name for more reviews of this geek)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...