Monday, February 24, 2014

Review: Real by Katy Evans


Real 

Author: Katy Evans
Publisher: Smashwords
Series: Real #1
Pages: ebook, 293 pages
Genre: New Adult
Release Date: April 8, 2013



Summary:

A fallen boxer.
A woman with a broken dream.
A competition…

He even makes me forget my name. One night was all it took, and I forgot everything and anything except the sexy fighter in the ring who sets my mind ablaze and my body on fire with wanting…

Remington Tate is the strongest, most confusing man I’ve ever met in my life.

He’s the star of the dangerous underground fighting circuit, and I’m drawn to him as I’ve never been drawn to anything in my life. I forget who I am, what I want, with just one look from him. When he’s near, I need to remind myself that I am strong–but he is stronger. And now it’s my job to keep his body working like a perfect machine, his taut muscles primed and ready to break the bones of his next opponents . . .

But the one he’s most threatening to, now, is me.

I want him. I want him without fear. Without reservations.

If only I knew for sure what it is that he wants from me?


Review:

Real is well written. So I enjoyed reading this for the most part.
It's your usual insta-lust/insta-love plot in many ways. The drama at 70% included.
Which is fine, it's a romance novel after all. But I had some different issues:
The smut. Well don't misunderstand me, it's rather well written smut. Rather hot and heavy, most of the time very enticing, sometimes a bit too much for my taste- except I got rather bored by hearing how amazing Remington is, how amazing he looks, how hot he is... and how lucky Brook is to have sex with him.
Then my second issue is to do with Remington's secret

********WARNING********
THIS IS CONTAINS A SPOILER SO PLEASE ONLY READ IF YOU DON'T MIND!!!

I was not surprised by the big secret. I could have guessed what Remington's condition was. BUT what did surprise me, how he and his team handled it. And even worse how Brooke was fine with it. It's beyond negligent! She is a health practitioner for heavens sake!!
Oh and then Evan's implies that Brook's presence helps Remington when he is on a down. FREAKN REALLY???!!! how can anyone except that implication? It's actually criminal!
Look my brother-in-law has the same condition, it's not a joke. This is a serious matter, and if a person in that condition does neglect their meds, there can be serious consequences. If they get agro, like Remington does, they can inflict serious injury to loved one. Because in that state, they do not know what they doing. Their strength is scary, and yeah they will get tranq. But why wait? Why say that's freakn fine?!! I don't get it
Then the whole flip of the DNA thing- uhm, well I was just kinda shocked that someone does make up stuff like that without actually doing their research.
I guess I am the worst possible reading in this situation- cause, not only am a acquainted with this particular condition, I also studied Chemistry and took several semesters of Genetics.. so I am kinda Evan's nightmare reader. BUT I seriously am taken aback that her research was faulty. Got to say Miss Evans- yeah love conquers all and shit like that, but if the people around you love you, and you have that condition, they will support you to find the right meds so you can live a normal life- not tranq you whenever and pretend that all ok
AND emotions and their states of minds have nothing to do with the person's condition. It's a chemical imbalance in the brain- which means that the person, has no control over their reaction or behavior at the time. It a great tragedy and making it light is not really going to help anyone- but will cause huge damage!
********END OF SPOILER********

I might read the rest of the series, cause I wanna know where Evan's takes this. There is lots of places this can go...I would prefer someone to test read for me though. Any takers?
Lovers of the genre with a liking for explicit and daring smut will enjoy this

Rating: 




(click on the name for reviews of this geek)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...