Friday, June 27, 2014

Review: The Real Thing by Cassie Mae

The Real Thing

Author: Cassie Mae
Publisher: Flirt
Pages: 235 Pages (Kindle)
Genre: New Adult
Release Date: August 19, 2014



Summary:

In this electrifying novel from New Adult sensation Cassie Mae, two close friends surprise themselves by shifting from platonic love to sexual attraction.

Eric Matua has one friend—his best friend and childhood sweetheart, who needs a place to stay for the summer. Mia Johnson has thousands of friends—who live in her computer. Along with her email chats and Facebook notifications, Mia also devours romance novels, spending countless hours with fictional characters, dreaming of her own Romeo to sweep her off her feet. When she starts receiving supersweet messages from a stranger who thinks she’s someone else, Mia begins to believe that real love is possible outside her virtual world.

When the two friends become roommates, Mia finds herself falling harder than she ever thought she could. But Eric keeps his desires locked away, unsure of himself and his ability to give his best friend what she deserves in a boyfriend. As her advances are continually spurned, Mia splits her time between Eric and her computer. But she soon realizes she’s about to lose the only real thing she’s ever had.

Praise for Cassie Mae

“Cassie Mae’s writing is fresh and original!”—Rachel Morgan, author of the Creepy Hollow series

“A fabulous author who tugs on your heart strings as if she owns them.”—Jade Hart, author of Coffee and Cockpits

“Cassie Mae has a knack for developing characters who have you wanting to climb into the pages and become part of their world.”—Theresa Paolo, author of (Never) Again

“Cassie Mae’s books have become my latest guilty pleasure. Pleasure, because who doesn’t love to read a romantic comedy? And I say guilty because when I lay my hands on one, I tend to read them in one sitting and let all my other responsibilities go to the wayside. What dishes?”—Pauline Creeden, author of Sanctuary

“Mae is very good at getting me to chuckle throughout an entire book, because her heroines are quirky and unique.”—Book Nerd



Review:

"Dedicated to anyone who has weaknesses, and finds the strength to overcome them" Cassie Mae


As I marked this as read, I realised that I have read quite a few of Mae novels now. I like her lighthearted and fun approach in all of the ones I read. I love that she writes characters that feel real, I can easily connect with and whose lives feel very realistic. I also really like her humor, her geeky quirky heroines and down to earth hotties.
But in my opinion: in no other novel did Mae get it as right as in The Real Thing

The story line is sweet and fun. It's your usual romance patterns, with lots of fun elements added in. As i said Mae humor is fab and it kept me grinning like a goof through nearly the entire book. This is a best friends become more story. But Mae added a few great details to it. The social media status at the beginning of each chapter is total genius.  My favorite part is the slow progress in the relationship. It made me savour this way more and all those little details, all the fun scenes made this just the right cute and fluffy- and also kinda more real. Cause in my opinion reading Dr. Seuss is more romantic that grand dinners or flowers. And I shall never ever look at loofas with a quantum of distain again. As Eric's opinion of it changes through the book- mine did as well.


The best part about this, the part that actually got to me: The character building.
I could not only connect with Mia - I totally identified with her. Might have to do with the fact that I am a book geek, that I do live far away from my family, have quite a few internet buddies and well I boast a twitter account, a Goodreads account, a younameit account. But while I think that all of those things, definitely made me connect with Mia and get her. It's the way Mae written Em: her feelings, her fears, her reactions that got under my skin. Em is strong yet has the same insecurities most of us have. She is a great friend and deals with life and it's difficulties beautifully.  Oh and her sense of humor? *le SIGH!* Honestly I kinda have a total girl-crush on her!
Finally a strong, real, good hearted, brave, fun female character, that I would want as a girlfriend- hell scratch that, I wanna be her!
Eric is just awesomesauce. Sorry just had to say it. He is right up there with my fictional crushes like Barrons and Lucas. Uh-huh. You read right, I am totally fangirling over here.
Ok. *deep breath*
I shall not go into the hotness of Eric or the fact that he is an amazing friend... or fangirl senselessly at you. I shall try and keep the fangirling at an absolute minimum.
Ok. *another deep breath*
So obviously Eric does hit all the right notes for being a perfect book-boyfriend. I am sure you guess that much by now. But he has insecurities and problems as well, which is what made him even more perfect. Just like with Em, I total got him. When he got upset, I agreed with him. I routed for him through his struggles, while his looks are a nice bonus, somehow it didn't matter. His humor, his kindness and well just all of him is what really won my heart. Oh darn. I will stop here before I am going to be back on the full on fangirling bit.
The support cast, while they didn't feature that much on one hand, still were done well. They felt real, sorta like they part of my extended circle. While we don't get to know loads about them, their character building is still solid. Each one of them had their own voice, which is amazing since we only get to know them through the POV of Em and Eric.

After reading 5 novels by Mae, it's kind of a given I like her prose. Well, I do, I enjoy the fresh, quirky and fun way she writes. And in this one she tugged on my heart strings by making simple yet deep statements. The entire story got more to me than many others simply because it felt so real, and while it was cute and fluffy, it had a surprising depth to it. A lot of this will stay with me for a long time to come.

So:  4.5 Stars. I might still round it up, gonna have to see how I feel in a few days.

Frankly right now if I had to point out the most romantic novel I ever read or if I had to name the novel who's characters I most identified with, I would shove this one into your face.
Sadly I have read this and now I guess all I have left is reading Dr. Seuss again...or I could always get a yellow froggy loofa?



Rating:
 


Quotes: 

Oh! The book I've been waiting to get is only nintey-nine cents. I let out a, "Hell yes!""


"Ugh, Mia", Eve grumbles, scratching the top of her pink-blonde hair. "Aren't you supposed to leave soon?""I don't have to leave till, like, eleven,"I say, scrolling through my Amazon recs. "It's 10.58"


I'm still trying to figure out how to defeat autocorrect.


And I hate posts when it says something sucks and you want to like it so they know you saw it and you concur or something, but you can't do that because it looks like your liking the thing that sucks... so you feel like you have to comment on the damn thing, but you have no idea what to say. Or maybe I think too much.

I make the mistake of starting another book while Eric is in the shower, but he doesn't seem to mind too much. He made his dinner, sat next to me, and let me snuggle into his arm while I kept telling him, "One more chapter.""

We hold each other, following his rules and going slow. But as I breathe him in, and he rocks me, I don't mind going slow anymore. It really does feel okay. Right. At least right for us. I wonder if this is how real life couple fall in love. You know, if love is the direction I'm heading.

The one that changes not only you, not only him, but the two of you together. Everything from here on out is me and Eric.








(click on the name for reviews of this geek)




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...