Monday, March 16, 2015

ARC Review: Trust The Focus by Megan Erickson


Trust The Focus


Author: Megan Erickson
Publisher: Intermix
Series: In Focus #1
Pages: ebook, 222 pages
Genre: New Adult
Release Date: March 17th 2015



Summary:

With his college graduation gown expertly pitched into the trash, Justin Akron is ready for the road trip he planned with his best friend Landry— and ready for one last summer of escape from his mother’s controlling grip. Climbing into the Winnebago his father left him, they set out across America in search of the sites his father had captured through the lens of his Nikon.

As an aspiring photographer, Justin can think of no better way to honor his father’s memory than to scatter his ashes at the sites he held sacred. And there’s no one Justin would rather share the experience with more than Landry.

But Justin knows he can’t escape forever. Eventually he’ll have to return home and join his mother’s Senate campaign. Nor can he escape the truth of who he is, and the fact that he’s in love with his out-and-proud travel companion.

Admitting what he wants could hurt his mother’s conservative political career. But with every click of his shutter and every sprinkle of ash, Justin can’t resist Landry’s pull. And when the truth comes into focus, neither is prepared for the secrets the other is hiding.





Review:

First up I think I should mention that I haven't read many M/M romances. I think this might be my third or fourth?
So there isn't much I can compare this to, at least when it comes to the smut part... But one the other hand - it's a cute and fluffy - and romance is romance, not matter who is involved right?
I also think I should just say up front that I don't think I'm ever going to be a huge M/M reader. It's just not really my kinda thing- well at least when it comes to the smut. But as I said, the cute & fluffy is not so much about the smut for me. And so I am sure I will be dabbling it M/M romances from time to time, especially if they are written like this one.

I like Erickson 's writing style which is why I immediately knew I wanted to read Trust the Focus. She writes beautifully, this novel made no exception. In fact while I do have some issues with this one, I think each book of Erickson makes me wanna read her next one. She is definitely an author on my to read list- and Trust the Focus established that fact even more.

The character building was done really well when it comes to the two MCs. I felt a bit iffy about the parents. They were way to black and white in my opinion, even if Erickson tried obviously to diffuse that, they were either too perfect or to pushy, to cliche really.
This being told from Justin's POV - it is his story really. And while I wanted to smack him over his stupid head at times, I also really adore him. The connection between Justin and Landry is written superbly, it's tangible. I adore their banter, got their issues and fears. In fact I felt like I've been on that road trip with them. Really a cute couple!
As I said, I am not a great lover of M/M smut and this didn't change my mind on it either. But this isn't really about the smut. It's a book about love and finding oneself. And that has nothing to do with gender.

The plot is a cute & fluffy even with it's couple of twists- most of them totally predictable- and the ending one hopes for and craves.
I honestly was having high hopes for the traveling bits- and frankly I felt a bit let down by them. Somehow Erickson didn't get that right for me. I can't explain why. She just didn't. I have travelled extensively and I travelled with my loverboy for several years.. so I admit that I might be a tough costumer to be please. It is something really dear to me, so possibly I am too much of a fusspot about it? All I can say is, I didn't find myself transported to the places they visited- It rather felt like something was ticked off an itinerary than it being an experience, which in fact traveling like that is, a life changing one.
My other complaint? The photography bit... I am a photographer.... I could simply not relate to the description Erickson gave. To be honest, I think it is unfortunate- Me, having so much in common with Justin. And this could only go two ways, I would totally adore the photo and travel bits- or I wouldn't. Sadly it was the latter for me. It was just not for me. I felt like those two aspects lacked something. BUT again, these are two of the most important things that shaped my adult life- so I am beyond tough to please.

About half way in, I was not so sure what to think of this in fact. I was a bit disappointed with the photo and travel bits- the smut is not really my cup of tea. And then Erickson somehow took out all stops and made me forget about it. I just cared about Justin, about his love for his father, his friend and his fears. All the above queries were suddenly of no consequence, because I remember looking for my path in my early twenties. Having just graduated - I was not quite sure where I wanted to go in life... And isn't that where most of us are at in that moment? Erickson nailed that aspect, to the tee. I got Justin, his fears and his longing- even if they were so different than mine. I adore how much Justin's love of his father comes through, his discovery of a man he loved and cared so much for. I always felt like I only understood who my parents were, after I was on the road, far far away from them. So yes, this hit a note in me. And I think this is what makes this a really beautiful read.
Trust the Focus is a cute & fluffy alright- but it also is inspirational and a reminder that when you find love hang on to it!
A must read for lovers of the genre- and for those who like me dabble in it - But mostly a must read for all people, who want to read something fun, enjoyable and moving.

Rating: 



(click on the name for reviews of this geek)


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...