Monday, August 10, 2015

Review: Blackmail Boyfriend by Chris Cannon


Blackmail Boyfriend


Author: Chris Cannon
Publisher: Entangled Publishing: Crush
Genre: Young Adult
Release Date: August 11th 2015



Summary:

Sometimes, blackmail is the only weapon a girl has…

Haley Patterson has had a crush on golden boy Bryce Colton for ages. But when she hears a rumor that he hooked up with her she gives him a choice: be her boyfriend for a month to show other guys that she’s dateable—despite her overprotective and very intimidating brothers—or deal with the angry, cage-fighting boyfriend of the girl he actually did hook up with.

Bryce didn’t know the other Haley even had a boyfriend. He was just trying to get his ex off his back. And now, not only is he being blackmailed, he's being blackmailed by an honor student. His new “girlfriend” has two three-legged dogs, her father mows grass at the country club, and she's…well, difficult. And different.

Can something so fake turn into something real?




Review:

So honestly: I expect this to be a cute & fluffy, was hoping this was well written - and I would have been happy.

But I kinda got more...

I never read anything by Cannon before. So I was pleased to discover I enjoyed her writing style. It's witty, sassy and fresh.

The plot was sweet, fun and while I expected mega predictable- it actually did throw me on several occasions. I mean this is a cute & fluffy-and you can guess the outcome.. so basically the main plot line had no huge surprises. But Cannon took what could have been a run of the mill kinda story- albeit it would have been sweet and cute- and added her own brand to it. Essentially this is a mash up getting thrown together-by-accident and girl and boy from totally different sides of town kinda love story. To be frank I would have been probably happy with just that. Since it was written very well. But Cannon layered into this several other factors, which made this an unexpected good read.

Cannon shines in the character building of the two MCs. Hayley and Bryce are both more than they seem. And their POV were both written exceptionally well. I love their little angst fest. The best part about it is that probably 99% of the female population could relate to Hayley, her behaviour, her worries and fears.
I think she is a very good example for how many of us gals behave and feel at that age. I am talking when it comes to boys and our insecurities. I wasn't an animal rescue kinda gal- then again I had my own quirks and obsessions- hence I can relate.
Nathan and Jane were an incredible support cast. And I honestly feel like I know those four kids. Each unique and each from a different family. Cannon did a great job portraying the different family dynamics and the way all of them deal with it.
I found however some of the adults a bit to cliche and too stark. Brittany in compare to all the different characters was too over the top in my opinion.

Then there is the country club scene... and I honestly found myself a bit irritated. I felt somehow Cannon might ruin the last bit of the book. I begrudgingly found myself smile at Bryce's grand gesture.
Then Cannon won my heart completely with the last paragraph.
That last paragraph encompasses everything I loved about Blackmail Boyfriend in just a few phrases.


A must read that is surprising, cute, fun and full of wonderful details and moments.

Rating: 



(click on the name for reviews of this geek)



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...