Thursday, January 26, 2017

Review: Pushing the Boundaries by Stacey Trombley


Pushing the Boundaries


Author: Stacey Trombley
Publisher: Entangled: Crush
Series: Off Limits #1
Genre: YA
Release Date: January 16th 2016



Summary:

Myra goes to Haiti with one goal: take the photograph that will win a scholarship and prove to her uber-traditional family that she has what it takes to be a photographer instead of a doctor. Her camera has always been her shield against getting too close to anyone, but she didn’t expect the hot teen translator who has an ability to see past her walls.

Elias needs his job as a translator to provide for his siblings. He can’t afford to break the rule forbidding him from socializing with a client. Except this girl Myra insists on going outside the city to capture the perfect picture, and he steps in as her guide in order to keep her safe.

The deeper they travel into the country, the harder they fall for each other. Now they’re both taking risks that could cost each other their dreams.

If they get too close—it could ruin both their lives.




Review:


Let's just get to the things I didn't like much first.
I am not a huge fan of the writing style. To be honest, the way Trombley dealt with the creole dialogues, is not to my liking. I know that is style many authors use, but I personally find it disruptive. It's really a matter of personal preference. At time I found the writing a bit too simplistic, but at others there were amazing descriptions. Which makes the writing style feel a bit inconsistent and it's one of the reason's it took me a while to get into the book.
The second negative point: the romance. It's too insta. I mean, we talking a week! One week, people. I get that Myra got affected by the place, but their feelings for each other and the dramas? I kept thinking, dude, it's been a few days...
However, the thing I liked do outway the things I didn't! So despite the above, I enjoyed the book immensely.

First and foremost Trombley chose two really different protagonists. I love that! But not only did she chose diverse characters, she also did a brilliant job at getting them right. Myra makes "sense", her struggles, even the ones with her mother, her attitude, her perceptions, her acts are that of a pakistani american youth. It's really well done. I absolutely love the character building in this book. Elias, felt a bit woody in the beginning, but soon became a vivid character that felt real.
The support cast was just as well written. But really for me the star in the story is Myra and her character growth. It's beautiful and feel so realistic. I was really moved by her, her changes and discoveries.
As I said I wasn't a fan of the romance, which means, some of the plot was not really my cup of tea. But there is so much more to this story than the romance. The work in the clinic for example, I have worked as a helper in a refugee clinic, and let me tell you I felt transported back to it. Tromley did a fantastic job at shedding light to those situations. I mean the negative and positive sides. And I felt like I visited Haiti after I finished read this. I know all about leaving a piece of your heart in places (mine is scattered in places all of the world) and I totally got what happened to Myra.
The poverty, the way that people are, the kids are the highlight of this book to me.
A beautiful reminder and a wonderful beacon of hope. Because as Myra discovered, instead of seeing the differences, when we see the similarities- the joy and hope we all share- we discover true beauty. I believe that humanity needs people like that and that we need to be reminded of this as much as possible.

Beautiful subtext, interesting characters and some beautiful descriptions make this a truly different experience.



Rating: 



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...