Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Review: Changes in Latitudes by Jen Malone



Changes in Latitudes

Author: Jen Malone
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: Kindle Edition, 384 pages
Genre: YA
Release Date: July 25th 2017



Summary:

A "road" trip romance that takes place at sea!

All Cassie wants is to get some solid ground under her feet following the shock of her parents' divorce. So when she learns of her mom's plans to take Cassie and her brother, Drew, on a four-month sailing trip from Oregon to Mexico, she's stunned. There is absolutely nothing solid about the Pacific Ocean.

Cassie is furious. And nervous. It's been hard enough keeping Drew sheltered from what Cassie knows about her mother's role in breaking their family apart, but living in such close quarters threatens to push her anger past its tipping point. Enter Jonah, a whip-smart deckhand who's as gorgeous as he is flirtatious. Cassie tries to keep him at a distance, but the more time they spend together--wandering San Francisco, riding beachside roller coasters, and exploring the California coastline--the harder it is to fight the attraction.

​Cassie wants to let herself go, but her parents' split has left her feeling adrift in a sea of questions she can't even begin to answer. Can she forgive her mom? Will home ever feel the same? Should she take a chance on Jonah? With life's unpredictable tides working against her, Cassie must decide whether to swim against them... or dive right in.




Review:
How to rate this?

Well the first half is around 3 stars for me because well frankly I found Cassie extremely annoying. I get anger I get being lost but she was too self-centred and had no empathy for anyone else, nor did she consider anyone else's situation or POV.
But then Jonah came along. And me like Jonah. A lot. I really got caught up in the romance. Let me warn you it's not your slambang insta forever. But it's fancy and attraction that slowly becomes more. Super cute and very slow burn. I loved the near kiss scene though it was utterly frustrating. In the best possible way. Then as things happen, Cassie does not quite change but she starts considering things a bit more and she starts realising that just sulking about crap isn't going to help anyone and with that she grew on me. The last 20% were awesome! So I would in fact give the second half 4.5Stars... which makes 3.75Stars, and while I am happy to have half stars, not going to do quarter ones. So 4 Stars it is.

Retrospectively I really enjoyed the journey Cassie went through. While she didn't actually change that much, she decided to take a leap and more importantly started considering others. I love how much she learnt and how she got through her turmoil through traveling.
Jonah is sigh-worthy, wise and cute. Total book boyfriend material or as Cassie puts it Pirate Sexypants.
Drew is such a wonderful support cast, he is an old soul and I love how Cassie actually gets to know different sides of him during their journey.
The rest of the support cast is equally interesting, even the one's we don't get to see/hear much.
In the end this is about Cassie and her inward and outward journey.

Traveling has been an important part in my life as long as I can think. I am one that is all for sailing in... While traveling I always learn a lot about myself, it reminds me of how insignificant and small my problems are but mostly traveling always opens up one's perspective. Malone did a fantastic job on conveying that. The descriptions of the journey, the places, the elations and the downsides are fabulous. It's clear Malone has done quite a bit of traveling herself but her prose is simply perfect for this book. It's easy to read, yet descriptive and very insightful.

The storyline is well paced, has some cool twists that were totally unexpected. As I mentioned I totally adore the romance. I also love the end. It's not a HEA, but rather there is closure while there is hope and an opening. The end of a chapter rather than THE end. Just like life. I totally love it

So basically my issue was that I found the MC in the beginning to egotistical and sulky. But there are so much beauty and thought provoking moments in this I ended up loving it. And there is a cute romance in it as well.
Wonderful novel for all who are wanderer at heart!

Rating: 



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...