Friday, July 13, 2018

Review: The Cruel Prince



The Cruel Prince


Author: Holly Black
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Series: The Folk of the Air #1
Pages: Hardcover, 370 pages
Genre: Fantasy
Release Date: January 2nd 2018



Summary:

Of course I want to be like them. They’re beautiful as blades forged in some divine fire. They will live forever.

And Cardan is even more beautiful than the rest. I hate him more than all the others. I hate him so much that sometimes when I look at him, I can hardly breathe.

Jude was seven when her parents were murdered and she and her two sisters were stolen away to live in the treacherous High Court of Faerie. Ten years later, Jude wants nothing more than to belong there, despite her mortality. But many of the fey despise humans. Especially Prince Cardan, the youngest and wickedest son of the High King.

To win a place at the Court, she must defy him–and face the consequences.

As Jude becomes more deeply embroiled in palace intrigues and deceptions, she discovers her own capacity for trickery and bloodshed. But as betrayal threatens to drown the Courts of Faerie in violence, Jude will need to risk her life in a dangerous alliance to save her sisters, and Faerie itself.




Review:

I seem to have this issue with Holly Black's books where I just can not for the life of me connect with the characters. This book, as its rating suggests, has all the winning ingredients. Everything from great characters/growth, world building, awesome creatures, good plot, good pacing, awesome action and badassery, and yet...I couldn't care one bit. I almost DNF'd this, but I was already more than halfway through and said what the hell, might as well finish at this point. I'm glad I did cause that last 100 pages was where it made me truly interested in what was going on.

Here is the kicker though. I still don't really care about our main character. I feel more for Cardan, which we know much less about, but I still got hooked enough to want to find out how this series is going to play out.

Rating: 


Review: Ella

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...