Thursday, August 16, 2018

Review: Pestilence by Laura Thalassa


Pestilence


Author: Laura Thalassa
Series: The Four Horsemen #1
Pages: ebook, 382 pages
Genre: Dystopia
Release Date: Published March 20th 2018



Summary:

They came to earth—Pestilence, War, Famine, Death—four horsemen riding their screaming steeds, racing to the corners of the world. Four horsemen with the power to destroy all of humanity. They came to earth, and they came to end us all.


When Pestilence comes for Sara Burn’s town, one thing is certain: everyone she knows and loves is marked for death. Unless, of course, the angelic-looking horseman is stopped, which is exactly what Sara has in mind when she shoots the unholy beast off his steed.

Too bad no one told her Pestilence can’t be killed.

Now the horseman, very much alive and very pissed off, has taken her prisoner, and he’s eager to make her suffer. Only, the longer she’s with him, the more uncertain she is about his true feelings towards her … and hers towards him.

And now, well, Sara might still be able to save the world, but in order to do so, she'll have to sacrifice her heart in the process



Review:

Pestilence is surprising in so many ways, that it left me in awe of Thalassa.

But before I even delf into the storyline, character building or writing style let's just take a moment and look at the cover.


Yeah. Exactly.
I'll give you another minute.


How gorg?
And that's all I shall say to it.

Well, except.
It is definitely the reason I looked at the summery and a huge portion why I decided to give this a try.
I thought this can only go two ways, it's either okay or really terrible.
And here is the first surprise of many. This is definitely more than okay. It is, in fact, a beautifully told dark story, that in some ways is so wrong, yet it is so right.

Pestilence is in many ways your adult fairytale. The kind that reminds me of the old slightly gruesome Grim's tales. Beautifully told, with plenty of gore and injustice, yet it leaves you all fuzzy and happy at the end. (and in this case some smut, hence adult)

I adore Thalassa's writing style. Her descriptions are beautiful, she sets a perfect pace, gets away with pushing boundaries, because she does it with subtlety and finesse.
This is the first book I read by her, I did check out her other books and there seems to be a common theme with them: they all look like dark beauties. I shall definitely read more by her.

The storyline. Sigh. so gruesome so heartbreaking and yet so beautiful. This is your total slow burn romance- no insta at all. It is borderline Stockholm syndrome as well. I totally adore it. Yet the end left me a bit eh. I don't exactly know why but somehow I felt a bit, dunno kinda what that's it? Well, except the last, last bit. Looking forward to the next book

The character building is probably my favourite part of the book. It's so subtly done, with so much finesse. I fell totally and utterly in love with both MCs. My heart broke for both of them, I was beyond touched by their slowly growing love.

The world building is gruesome perfection. In a case of Pestilence coming, that's exactly what I would expect. Freakn well done!

And then there are the ethical implications, the reasons for being, again the bordering Stockholm syndrome.. Thalassa didn't just do a cute & fluffy. She threw in quite a few existential philosophical thoughts as well. Some are simply implied, are like faith, others are starkly put out there, like how much can you accept from your lover, where is your ethic line you going to draw. Or even what is really wrong or right? What is mercy? Quite amazing and astounding that Thalassa managed to pack all this in a beautifully written love story actually.


I didn't expect this at all. I expected some cute and fluffy steamy kinda book with a gorgeous cover. Instead, I got so much more. Great world building, amazing character building and masterful storytelling make this one of my favourites book of 2018.
Can't wait for the next instalment.




Rating: 


Reviewed by Deniz

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...