Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Review: Skies of Fire by Zoe Archer



Skies of Fire by Zoe Archer


Publisher: Avon Impulse
Series: The Ether Chronicles #1
Pages: 200 Pages (ebook)
Genre: Steampunk, Romance
Release Date: April 3, 2012
Summary:

Man made of metal and flesh

Captain Christopher Redmond has just one weakness: the alluring spy who loved and left him years before…when he was still just a man. Now he's superhuman—a Man O' War, made as part of the British Navy's weapons program—and his responsibility is to protect the skies of Europe. If only he could forget Louisa Shaw.

A most inconvenient desire

Louisa, a British Naval Intelligence agent, has never left a job undone. But when her assignment is compromised, the one man who can help her complete her mission is also the only man ever to tempt her body and heart. As burning skies loom and passion ignites, Louisa and Christopher must slip behind enemy lines if they are to deliver a devastating strike against their foe . . . and still get out alive.


Rating:


Review: 

I love steampunk, the series sounded interesting and with little time at hand I thought these roughly 200page novellas would be the way to go

The world building was classic steampunk - I in fact really reminded me of Meljean Brooks Iron Seas Series - which I love
I like the idea of Man O' Wars as well
But all in all it's not awe inspiring or amazing. In fact it's rather basic, which I am guessing is due to the length of the novel as well.

The character building was probably the strongest part of the novel. But to be honest I found both of the MC's way to melodramatic. All their angst and lust made me roll my eyes. I liked some of the banter and found their whole pining and regretting bit rather unattractive. Saying that this is the strongest part of the novel, I also got to say, that I wasn't left knowing tons about the characters. I did find myself caring for them and was glad the things worked out the way they did. I couldn't connect to them though. Again I was left wondering where Archer would have taken this if it was longer.

The plot was straight from a to b to c. Rather predictable, and the action was a tad to smooth for me. It made it a bit cartoonish.
The romance part too romantic for me. Yes, I just said that. Well it was just too much for me.

The prose is good. I really enjoyed it, so much that I am definitely going to check out other books of Archer. Possibly the reason why I rated it 3 Stars rather than 2.5.

I am definitely gonna read at least one or two more books in this series. For a couple of reasons: First. I am hoping that the next installment will be better. This has good potential in my opinion and I wanna see were the series goes
Second. The series is a collaboration between Archer and her husband (N.Ross) and I am intrigued by the fact that they took turns writing the series

Definitely an interesting book for lover of romance steampunk






(click on the name for more reviews of this geek)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...