Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Review: Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles


Perfect Chemistry

Author: Simone Elkeles
Publisher: Walker Books for Young Readers
Series: Perfect Chemistry #1
Pages: Paperback, 357 pages
Genre: Young Adult
Release Date: December, 2008



Summary:

A fresh, urban twist on the classic tale of star-crossed lovers.

When Brittany Ellis walks into chemistry class on the first day of senior year, she has no clue that her carefully created 'perfect' life is about to unravel before her eyes. She's forced to be lab partners with Alex Fuentes, a gang member from the other side of town, and he is about to threaten everything she's worked so hard for: her flawless reputation, her relationship with her boyfriend, and the secret that her home life is anything but perfect.

Alex is a bad boy and he knows it. So when he makes a bet with his friends to lure Brittany into his life, he thinks nothing of it. But soon Alex realizes Brittany is a real person with real problems, and suddenly the bet he made in arrogance turns into something much more.

In a passionate story about looking beneath the surface, Simone Elkeles breaks through the stereotypes and barriers that threaten to keep Brittany and Alex apart.



Review:

If I would have to been asked how I felt about this book while reading it. - The answer would have been: hmmmmmm... lots of things
Now if you would ask me the same question after finishing it. The answer doesn't change much. It is: hmmmmm

Lots of my reading buddies loved this. I was sure to get my cute and fluffy fix out of this one. And hmmmmmm. I kinda did. But I also didn't.

I have read the book of Elkeles new series and new that I will like her writing style. And I definitely did.
It's a well written book. As you know how I feel about prose, this is a big BIG plus. Elkeles makes me feel what her Characters feel, I do care for them. I enjoy her prose. So I think it's safe to say, its my favorite part of this book.

The characters were, nice. I got them, I cared for them. But they were cliche, and if I say cliche I mean CLICHE! Each and every one of them.
No surprise and those no spark. Don't get me wrong, as I said, I liked them- I even got them. And even the "baddies" were not over the top- which the route so many YA book these days choose. The were just unoriginal. But saying that. Alex is hawt- the chemistry between Bridget and him sizzling. And I loved the way they were together.

NOW the plots- well, it's so predictable I knew where it was going about 5pages in... after chapter 3 I could have given you the entire rundown of the book. Oh and trust me, I was right. So it's your usual usual. Which is a total shame and the reason I feel rather let down.
Thing is, the story was well told, I enjoyed the story- even if I totally knew what was coming. Which leaves me to believe this could have been way way WAY better. In fact about 70% in I needed a break, simply because I was kinda bored. I wish this would have been one of those books that captivated me. And if it would have had just one single twist that I couldn't have seen coming a mile off- I would have totally rounded this up to 4Stars. BUT sadly that's not the route Elkeles went. So I am rounding it down.

*WARNING!!!!!! so if you super fussy about spoilers skip this paragraph- as it could be seen as a minor spoiler*

Oh and maybe I am seriously jaded- and we all know I have not one romantic bone in my body- BUT the end?
I was a bit taken aback: He does barely have to explain the stuff that had happened?! He just made assumptions and acted on it, and I just was like; whoa wait?! How about groveling for 5 seconds? OR even better how about checking if it's OK with HER?! Just sayin, I would have wanted a tad bit more than just HIS plans.

spoiler section over - everybody can look again

All in all a good cute and fluffy - but sadly a wee bit wasted potential.
Still I am not only going to read more of Elkeles, I am going to definitely go on with the series.
Recommended for YA romance lovers, who don't mind predictability too much.


Rating: 

(click on the name for reviews of this geek)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...