Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Review: Romancing the Nerd by Leah Rae Miller


Romancing the Nerd


Author: Leah Rae Miller
Publisher: Entangled: Teen
Pages: Paperback, 352 pages
Genre: Young Adult
Release Date: April 5th 2016



Summary:

Dan Garrett has become exactly what he hates—popular. Until recently, he was just another live-action role-playing (LARP) geek on the lowest run of the social ladder. Cue a massive growth spurt and an uncanny skill at taking three-point shots in basketball and voila…Mr. Popular. It’s definitely weird.
And the biggest drawback? Going from high school zero to basketball hero cost Dan the secret girl-of-his-dorky dreams.
A tuba-playing nerd with an eclectic fashion sense, Zelda Potts’s “Coolness” stat is about minus forty-two. Dan turning his back on her and the rest of nerd-dom was brutal enough, but when he humiliates her at school, Zelda decides it’s time for a little revenge—dork style. Nevermind that she used to have a crush on him. Nevermind that her plan could backfire big time.
It’s time to roll the dice…and hope like freakin’ hell she doesn’t lose her heart in the process.




Review:

Let's face it: I am geek. I closet one- but yeah well I totally am.
But Miller made me wonder if I need to get my nerd on...
Seriously the LRP, the dress-up stuff. The first time ever I got why people do this, more even I thought I could enjoy it
And that's just one aspect why I thoroughly enjoyed Romancing The Nerd. This is cute&fluffy with a good helping of nerd- but actually it's also kind of more.
Because we get to explore the whole popular thing with Zelda, and more so though, we get reminded that people aren't black and white. Just because someone likes LRP doesn't mean they can't be interested in sports as well...
Zelda's journey and character growths was amazing. I found her extremely opinionated and while I loved her sass and her POV- that particular part was annoying. I kept thinking she is like an old stuck-up woman when it comes to her views of people!
In fact it is amazing how Dan comes across as the opposite in the beginning but is actually just like Zelda. Both of them discover that there is more to a person that meets the eye...

I loved the romance, it's super cute, it's geeky/nerdy and just swoon-worthy. On that alone I can only recommend this one.
Add to that the great humor. And you got an awesome book.

While I enjoyed the fun & cute story line. This novel shines with character building. While we start off, with a clear picture on who is who- I kinda thought in fact, we going to have the normal YA cute&fluffy high school cast- Miller gave all characters layers and depths as the story went on.
It was nice to revisit Maddie and Logan from The Summer I Became A Nerd as well. I am really glad I read that novel, even if this one totally works as a standalone- I felt like seeing old friends and I got their connection. It was cool to see them from Zelda and Dan's POV as well.

It's a cute, swoony spring read for all nerds and non-nerds alike!


Rating: 






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...