Monday, August 8, 2016

Review: A Promise Of Fire by Amanda Bouchet


A Promise of Fire


Author: Amanda Bouchet
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Series: Kingmaker Chronicles #1
Pages: Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Genre: Fantasy
Release Date: August 2nd 2016



Summary:

Catalia "Cat" Fisa is a powerful clairvoyant known as the Kingmaker. This smart-mouthed soothsayer has no interest in her powers and would much rather fly under the radar, far from the clutches of her homicidal mother. But when an ambitious warlord captures her, she may not have a choice…

Griffin is intent on bringing peace to his newly conquered realm in the magic-deprived south. When he discovers Cat is the Kingmaker, he abducts her. But Cat will do everything in her power to avoid her dangerous destiny and battle her captor at every turn. Although up for the battle, Griffin would prefer for Cat to help his people willingly, and he's ready to do whatever it takes to coax her…even if that means falling in love with her.




Review:

So let's just get right to the gist of it:
I probably would have given this 5Stars right until about 75% of the book. Then well.. I kinda fell out of love with it ( especially the romance)and at the end of the book I was left a bit disappointed with the world building.
And that's what I didn't like about the book. The rest, Bouchet had me wrapped around her pen. I was totally loving everything. I was so excited to having found an amazing fantasy.
So all in all? This is good. Really good.

The writing style is witty, descriptive and enticing. This is a solid first novel, I can't wait to see what else Bouchet will write. She clearly is a talented storyteller.

The storyline is fast paced, full of surprises and fun twists(though I did foresee most of them). A Promise of Fire is a fun adventure with a cute romance, some interesting politics and intrigues thrown in and mostly interesting world building.
Well I loved it until around 75% then I had several issues: I was exasperated with Cat, irritated with Griffing, annoyed with LeBitch and the Helen felt too much like a "coincidence"that was "cleverly"put in.
But I did like the end, it's a nice place to stop, no big cliffy but loads of possible avenues where the next will go.


The world building left me simply wanting more. I like what Bouchet sketched out so far. I love how Bouchet dipped into Greek Mythology, love her description of the mythological creature. Find the magic bits intriguing, even clever and the setup of the realms interesting.But I was left with so many questions, I hope she will fix this in the next book. It was simple not enough, IMO.

My absolute favorite part was the character building. I adore fellowship fantasies, and A Promise of Fire totally delivered on that front.
I adore Cat's extended family. I love her relationship with the crew. In fact I totally fell in love with the crew. I can't wait to read more about them all. They all fairly unique, pleasantly flawed and just awesomely written.
But Cat and Griffin, while I was totally smitten by those two, both grated on me in the last quarter of the book. I found Cat too imature and her pulling back was getting irritating. BUT saying that, Griffin was way to pushy. IMO Bouchet was really skirting the line of acceptable there. I mean I know Cat did want him, but she said no and he sorta ignored it. I just kept thinking: 'DUDE! No means no!'
It was a huge issue for me but it did annoy me.

So a fabulous debut from Bouchet. And I wish I could get my hands on the next book, around yesterday day.
A must read for lovers of the genre

Rating: 




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...