Sunday, May 12, 2013

Review: Down London Road by Samantha Young



Down London Road by Samantha Young

Publisher: Penguin Group (USA)
Series: On Dublin Street #2
Pages: Pages (Hardcover)
Genre: Contemporary Romance, Adult
Release Date: May 6, 2013
Summary:

Johanna Walker is used to taking charge. But she’s about to meet someone who will make her lose control....

It has always been up to Johanna to care for her family, particularly her younger brother, Cole. With an absent father and a useless mother, she’s been making decisions based on what’s best for Cole for as long as she can remember. She even determines what men to date by how much they can provide for her brother and her, not on whatever sparks may—or may not—fly.

But with Cameron MacCabe, the attraction is undeniable. The sexy new bartender at work gives her butterflies every time she looks at him. And for once, Jo is tempted to put her needs first. Cam is just as obsessed with getting to know Jo, but her walls are too solid to let him get close enough to even try.

Then Cam moves into the flat below Jo’s, and their blistering connection becomes impossible to ignore. Especially since Cam is determined to uncover all of Jo’s secrets …even if it means taking apart her defenses piece by piece



Rating:


Review: 

As much as I really liked “On Dublin Street” I couldn’t enjoy “Down London Road”. The writing wasn’t bad but the first part of the book was plain boring, and the second on top of being boring was filled with a succession of dramas and clichés, all things I don't love in a book. It‘s sad to say but I couldn’t connect with or care for the main characters.

I didn’t understand why the author chose Jo as heroine to this sequel because “On Dublin Street” made her all but lovable and her transformation from the bimbo gold digger full of insecurities to the woman in love and happy in her head and body in such short time didn’t convince me at all.

A thing that really didn’t work for me is the kind of love triangle. I really don’t care reading a romance book where for half of the story the hero and heroine are both involved with someone else. More over, I really don’t care reading about

(view spoiler on GR)

 Then, they both ditched their boyfriend/girlfriend and here comes the succession of dramas: (view spoiler on GR) *rolls eyes*

Also, in my humble opinion, the mother’s situation could have been better exploited, here it felt more like a drama alibi than anything else.

And the bimbo gold digger who can’t help but fall in love with a man out of job, cliché much? *rolls eyes*

A thing that never fails to annoy the hell out of me while reading a series is when you have a given character that suddenly has a totally new personality. What happened to Joss? I’m sorry but for the life of me I couldn’t reconcile her character in this book from the one in her book. And in my opinion, the explanations for her change of personality are just lame.

The things I liked in this book are Cole and Hanna characters as well as some comebacks, unfortunately their were too few.






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...