Friday, January 24, 2014

Review: The Witness by Nora Roberts



The Witness by Nora Roberts




Publisher: Putnam Adult
Pages: Hardcover, 488 pages
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
Release Date: April 17, 2012 
Summary:
Daughter of a controlling mother, Elizabeth finally let loose one night, drinking at a nightclub and allowing a strange man's seductive Russian accent lure her to a house on Lake Shore Drive. The events that followed changed her life forever. 

Twelve years later, the woman known as Abigail Lowery lives on the outskirts of a small town in the Ozarks. A freelance programmer, she designs sophisticated security systems--and supplements her own security with a fierce dog and an assortment of firearms. She keeps to herself, saying little, revealing nothing. But Abigail's reserve only intrigues police chief Brooks Gleason. Her logical mind, her secretive nature, and her unromantic viewpoints leave him fascinated but frustrated. He suspects that Abigail needs protection from something--and that her elaborate defenses hide a story that must be revealed.


With a quirky, unforgettable heroine and a pulse-pounding plotline, Nora Roberts presents a riveting new read that cements her place as today's most reliably entertaining thriller--and will leave people hungering for more.


Rating: 

Review:


"You're the sexiest thing, in the strangest ways."

With The Witness we have a great story with great characters development. Nora Roberts at her finest.

The first quarter of the book sets the plot and is told from Liz/Abigail point of vue when she was 16 and is the proof that a teenage POV can be interesting and endearing. Then we make a 12 years jump in time. 

The things I loved in this book: 

- Liz/Abigail. I absolutely L O V E D her! She is a genius (literally). Because she's a genius she tends to take things literally (which is often funny), and she's eccentric. Because of the way her mother raised her she's socially awkward but she's also kind, loving and endearing. And while she's a strong and self-reliant woman, in some parts of the book she broke my heart. 

"I've never been romantic, not before you. But you make me want moonlight, and wildflowers and whispers in the dark."
"I'll give you all of it, and more." He slicked her wet hair back, framed her face to lift it to his. "And more."
"Promises and secrets, and all the things I never understood. I want them with you. I love you so much. I love you. That's already more than I ever had."
"More still."


- Brooks. He's the perfect match for Liz/Abigail. He is strong and patient, and I L O V E the way he won Abigail over. 

"Perfect. I'll be in about a half-hour."
"I didn't ask you to come by."
"Yeah, I noticed. You really have to start doing that."


- The secondary characters.

- How things unraveled. 

What cost the half star is the end that I found rushed. 

"It started out that way. I still wonder, partly because a cop always wonders. But mostly now? When you opened those locks, even a little, Abigail, you got me. You got me," he repeated, taking her hand, pressing it to his heart.







(click on the name for reviews of this geek)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...