Saturday, February 15, 2014

BotW 6: Dirty Magic by Jaye Wells


Dirty Magic

Author: Jaye Wells
Publisher: Orbit
Series: The Prospero's War #1
Pages: Paperback, 381 pages
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Release Date: January 21, 2014


Summary:
The first in an all-new urban fantasy series by USA Today bestseller Jaye Wells.

The last thing patrol cop Kate Prospero expected to find on her nightly rounds was a werewolf covered in the blood of his latest victim. But then, she also didn't expect that shooting him would land her in the crosshairs of a Magic Enforcement Agency task force, who wants to know why she killed their lead snitch.

The more Prospero learns about the dangerous new potion the MEA is investigating, the more she's convinced that earning a spot on their task force is the career break she's been wanting. But getting the assignment proves much easier than solving the case. Especially once the investigation reveals their lead suspect is the man she walked away from ten years earlier—on the same day she swore she'd never use dirty magic again.

Kate Prospero's about to learn the hard way that crossing a wizard will always get you burned, and that when it comes to magic, you should be never say never.


Review:

I feel kind divided about this one. Because there were some awesome parts and some things that grated one me.
It was also interesting to see the reactions of my GR friends. Their ratings were just as divided. Some people enjoyed it others just found it annoying.

Let's start with the prose because that's in the middle for me. It's well written and enjoyable but I wouldn't describe it as amazing writing style.

The plot was fun. Never a dull moment. There was always something happening. 400pages of action. There were some fun twist and turns, and though none surprised me, I enjoyed the ride. I was worried about a love triangle coming up- well I still am worried that one will come up...

The world building was brilliant. Seriously! I loved the idea of dirty magic, magic addicts, the caldrons- just down my alley.

The character building, well sadly not my favorite part. I found Kate annoying. Well, not at first but as the book went on- her stubbornness just grated on me. I can't stand the whole black and white view she has. And her bravado and pride kinda didn't help that one.
All the other characters were a bit cliche and rather done before. New hot partner, rebellious darling bro, stuck-up boos and the bestie, well you name them, not only weren't they done before, they also didn't brake the mould throughout the story. As the story progresses not a single character did any growth or change or made me see them in a different light.

Though this has finished a chapter of a part of a story- it did feel like the set up for the next book.

But all in all I did enjoy this. It's fast, it's kickass and it's entertaining. I actually think this would be a cool tv series- bit of dark angel, a dash of sin city and a good portion of alias- always my cup of tea ;)
I am planning to read the next one.
This is for lovers of the genre who are looking for some action and fun world building.


Rating: 





(click on the name for reviews of this geek)




The next book of the week is Greed by Amelie Fisher! And though we adore the cover, we promise it has nothing very little to do with the choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...