Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Review: Flying by Megan Heart


flying by megan heart

Flying 

Author: Megan Heart
Publisher: Harlequin MIRA
Pages: Paperback, 384 pages
Genre: Romance
Release Date: April 29th 2014


Summary:
Ever hear of wanderlust? Every other weekend, Stella buys a ticket on the next flight out of town and leaves her life behind. Home is a place with too many memories, and departure is the sweetest possible distraction. As soon as she arrives at her destination, Stella visits the airport bar. She orders a drink and waits for the right guy to come along. A bored businessman, a backpacker, a baggage handler just off shift. If he's into a hot, no-strings hookup, he's perfect. Each time is a thrilling escape from reality that gives the term layover a whole new meaning. When Stella meets the enigmatic Matthew in Chicago one weekend, she hits some serious turbulence. Something about him tells her she's not the only one running from the past. The connection between them is explosive, and for the first time, one taste is not enough for Stella. But returning to find a gorgeous man waiting for her is the easy part& facing the reason she's there is a whole other matter.



Review:
For me, Megan Hart is a go to author. I might not read her books straight when they are released but I know that eventually I will read them – unless they are serials and in that case I'll just boycott them.

Unlike her other contemporary Erotica, Flying is written in the third POV. Like her other contemporary Erotica the building is slow, unfortunately and unlike her other books that I've read so far, the slow building leads to... nowhere .

For the first time while reading a MH book I had a really hard time trying to enjoy the heroine. Stella is a 40 something divorced woman and mother of a 17 years old boy. When the fancy takes her, she flies to other cities to have one night stands with absolute strangers. I didn't mind that. I really did not. I even didn't mind (view spoiler) What I did mind however was her coldness and borderline rudeness when she is on the prowl.

The book is full of miscellaneous bits and pieces that bring nothing to the story. Even the reason why she's "addicted" to the one night stands isn't clear. I'm sorry but if I see the connection between the tragedy that happened in Stella's life and her divorce I don't see how it is connected to her long string of one night stands.

Also, at the beginning of the book Stella says: "In her twenties Stella had taught herself how to be sexy for a man; it was until she was older that she discovered it was so much better to be sexy for herself." but the fine lingerie, just like her wigs, false nails and aliases is actually no more than a tool for when she is "flying". The first time she is flying for work she is caught unaware in granny panties... When I was 19 I discovered the pleasure of fine lingerie for myself and I can tell you that to this day this would never ever happens to me.

The Flashbacks didn't help either. And to be totally honest I also didn't get Craig parts. Then at the 50% marks or so enters Matthew and for the 90 % of the rest of the book he just acts like a jerk. And Stella just deals with his shit.

And last but not least we have the "What. The. Hell?!?!" kind of end. I don't mind Megan Hart "happy for now" kind of ends but after the mess of this book, this was pushing it a bit too far for my liking.


Rating: 







(click on the name for reviews of this geek)


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...