Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Review: Bruja by Aileen Erin


Bruja


Author: Aileen Erin
Publisher: Ink Monster, LLC
Series: Alpha Girl #4
Genre: YA
Release Date: May 12th 2015



Summary:

Claudia De Santos has always looked out for every witch but herself. She fought from the shadows as her coven turned dark, and with a little help from her half witch/half alpha werewolf cousin, Tessa, Claudia is doing everything she can to keep her friends and family in the light.

Now the coven has splintered into two factions: Luciana’s army of witches wielding dark magic, and Claudia’s few stragglers who fight with the wolves. War is coming, and it won’t be much of a battle if Claudia can’t find the spells to counteract Luciana’s demonic power.

The answers lie in ancient magic, and Claudia must journey to Peru to rediscover what the Inca mages knew. Fighting evil will require a pure spirit, but her quest is full of temptations, including a handsome Peruvian guide with secrets of his own.

As she struggles to gain the knowledge her friends will need in the coming battle, conflict rages in Claudia’s heart. Following through with her arranged marriage could bring hope and more allies to the side of good, but at the cost of her own happiness. Should Claudia stay on the same path of duty she’s always walked or risk it all—her life and the futures of all brujos—for a chance at something more?



Review:

Bruja is a fun, fast-paced, adventure packed PNR. A touch of Indiana Jones, some fabulous witch magic and nice shifter romance make this a really enjoyable read.

Just like in all the previous books of the series I adore the world building.
Each novel brings new elements to the world of Alpha Girl. When I started the series I wasn't quite sure if shifter novels were my cup of tea. And well, Erin changed my mind. I do like shifter books, if they are written as well as these...

Erin's prose is possibly getting better and better. I like her story telling skills and I adore her sense of humor that comes through. But most of all I noted how different Claudia's POV is from Tessa's. While Tessa is a bit wild and definitely a lot cheeky, Claudia looks at the world very differently. It was actually quite amazing how much my opinion of Claudia changed while reading Bruja. See I wasn't a huge fan of hers in the last three books.
Though there was some redeeming done at the end of Alpha Divided, I would have never thought I'd be totally routing for Claudia after this.

I think this is not only due to Erin's wonderful writing, but mostly to the well done character building. I really like the gang. And it was really nice to go back to it. And I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know Mr. Hottie aka Lucas.
I really enjoyed getting a glimpse of Rafaels and Claudia's relationship as well.
But the best part was seeing Claudia's determination, her struggling with her past and trying to do the right thing.

The plot as I said an epic adventure with some romance thrown in makes this a fabulous book.
But I had a couple of issues with this one, the first one is that the romance felt a bit rushed. I mean, I get the whole soulmate thing, (well at least the idea of it anyway) but somehow while I believed their developing friendship, I missed chemistry between Lucas and Claudia. Maybe I just expect way to much, since Tessa and Dastien's bond was done epically well.. but yeah somehow for me it was Claudia's and Luca's chemistry was lacking and their bond was a bit - ok we belong, done, story over. Let's move one.
The second issue are the villains. I feel that there is too much black and white. They not just baddies, they kinda over the top evil. It makes the villains to caricaturist for my taste. But also I couldn't understand what their motives would be at times. It made no sense to me, other that look how evil they are now...
Still this is another great instalment in a rather good series. And I am going to take back what I said after Alpha Divided- well at least to a degree- I think Erin should write more story set in this world. Well, I would like Tessa's and Dastien's story to be done with. I am hoping that Alpha Unleashed will take care of that. BUT I want more about this rather fabulous group of friends. Namely I want Raphaels story aaaaand I want more about the elves!!
This could work as a standalone. BUT if you plan on reading Tessa's story, read this in order of the series, because it would have to many spoilers, even for someone like me who seems to make it a hobby to read series out of order.

One of the best shifter YA series out there. Enthralling action, interesting world building, fabulous group of friends all wrapped up with a wonderful prose makes this a must read for lovers of the genre!

Rating: 










(click on the name for reviews of this geek)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...