Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Review: The Unlikeable Demon Hunter: Sting by Deborah Wilde


The Unlikeable Demon Hunter: Sting

Author: Deborah Wilde
Publisher: Te Da Media
Series: Nava Katz #2
Pages: Paperback, 418 pages
Genre: PNR, Urban Fantasy
Release Date: month 1, 2013



Summary:

50% boobs. 50% sarcasm. 100% new breed of hunter.

After a bumpy start as the only female demon hunter in the top secret Brotherhood of David, Nava Katz heads to Prague for her first undercover mission: unmasking a demon movie star. She’d be all kinds of thrilled if it weren’t for the fact that her fellow hunter-with-benefits, Rohan Mitra, has reclaimed his rock star status and assigned Nava the role of groupie.

Rejecting her “be a good girl and follow orders” directive, Nava unleashes an alter ego guaranteed to hook their celebrity target and drive Rohan crazy. No downside–until she finds herself up against Rohan’s past, the Brotherhood’s antiquated thinking, and her own identity issues, turning her personal life into the bomb that could blow up the entire operation.

Sparkly and deadly; it’s a plan.




Review:

Wait! No!!! And now I have to wait until September. Damnation!
Excuse my profanity, but... Just as I was totally invested in Nava's story, the book ended. And now I have to wait.
Let's backtrack.

I liked book one of the series well enough, it was cute and fun. Totally Wilde's MO, if you ask me.
When I started this book I thought I'll be getting more of the same. Fun, cute, imaginative and your usual PNR rump. Great entertainment. In fact, The Unlikeable Demon Hunter kinda reminds me of Ghost Busters. I am talking about the entertainment factor, the fast pace and the fun dialogues. A bit of light entertainment, that is really imaginative. Oh and then there is the cool factor, that reminds me of Men in Black- just with demons and rabbis.

I wasn't quite buying Nav and Ro's connection until the last quarter of the book. And then, well Wilde went and ripped out my heart!

Somewhere around halfway, this took a turn from entertaining to me being totally invested in the characters. Because the MCs changed from feeling a bit formulaic to unique.
Wilde did a great job at the character building in this installment. There is way less cliche, more unique and a hell of a lot more unexpected.

The plot is fast-paced with a few great twists. There are still your big movie moments, the last scene included, but they now feel like the best thing ever. I honestly hope someone will turn this into an awesome series- you know like Alias but with demons.
Last but not least the world building becomes better and better. I love the mix of myth, history and fantasy. Well constructed!

My only little issue. I was a bit disappointed with how quickly the situation with Asmodeus was solved and I was left with a ton of questions.

Which brings be back to what I said right in the beginning: September? Really?


Rating: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...