Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Review: Make It Count by Megan Erickson


Make It Count

Author: Megan Erickson
Publisher: William Morrow Impulse
Series: Bowler University #1
Pages: ebook, 384 pages
Genre: New Adult
Release Date: June 3, 2014



Summary:

Kat Caruso wishes her brain had a return policy, or at least a complaint hot-line. The defective organ is constantly distracted, terrible at statistics, and absolutely flooded with inappropriate thoughts about her boyfriend’s gorgeous best friend, Alec…who just so happens to be her brand new math tutor. Who knew nerd was so hot?

Kat usually goes through tutors like she does boyfriends—both always seem to bail when they realize how hopeless she is. It’s safer for her heart to keep everyone at arm’s reach. But Alec is always stepping just a little too close.

Alec Stone should not be fantasizing about Kat. She’s adorable, unbelievably witty, and completely off limits. He’d never stab his best friend in the back…

But when secrets are revealed, the lines of loyalty are blurred. To make it count, Alec must learn messy human emotions can’t be solved like a trigonometry function. And Kat has to trust Alec may be the first guy to want her for who she is, and not in spite of it.



Review:

This is kinda hard to review. Because honestly, maybe I should round up? But then again- it was kinda between ok and good.
There are parts I really loved, they really touched my heart and the other parts, that felt stoic or cliche and even worse some scenes lacked depths and felt rehearsed - sounds weird right? But some dialogues were, just really woody to run-of- the-mill-romance-movie-ish and I couldn't feel the connection between the characters. If felt fake.

My mind about this book changed literally every few pages. Which is my biggest issue actually. While I like the idea behind this, and as I said it had its great moments - it feel rough and unfinished. I even went and checked if this was self-published, thinking some more editing might fix it. But it isn't, which had me wondering what make this feel so unpolished and all over the place.


The story line is kinda sweet and annoying in one go.  I love Kat's sub-story, her problems are relevant and I think sadly many people feel the same as her and there is a huge amount of unawareness about the issue. SOOO kudos to Erikson for bringing it up. BUT at times it felt like Erikson wove it too carefully into the story, which resulted in feeling prepared and stoic. It felt a bit labored, especially the hard emphasis on the mystery around the problem. And once it was kinda revealed: puff! the problem was more or less ignored and solved.
The kinda love-triangle bits were meh. But you all know how much I loath them. This one was kinda bearable, but also a bit questionable at the same time.

The character building had promise- I like that Erikson did try and add layers to all of them. At first glance each one of them were completely cliche - the usual cast. But as the book went on, one slowly saw different element,s different layers to each person. I grew to like the group of friends- which is actually one thing I really loved about this.
The friendships felt real. Especially Alec, Dan and Max relationship.
Kat's POV was a tad bit too melodramatic for me. But I loved Alec. I totally agree with him: Princess Brat.
While the group of friends charmed me- the romance not so much. I didn't feel the chemistry they supposed to have, which everyone so clearly seemed to see. Again there were moments I loved; Alec and Kat had this quirky thing between them that always made me smile. But their melodramatic over the top admissions and the smut just kinda killed that, sad really. And then there were dialogues that were rather painfully overdone lines instead of the fun and quirky ones that Erikson clearly can deliver.

Silence. 
"Alec? Still there?"
 "Did you just say weenis?" 
"Um...yeah?"
"Kat, you are twenty years old and you use the word weenis."


"Sorry, Lea this is Max, Alec's roommate. Max, this is Lea, my-"Kat bit her cheek. Now Lea's narrowed eyes were aimed at her. 
"Every time I have to avoid an acronym, a part of me dies inside", Kat whined.
Lea sighed."Go ahead.."
"MBF!" Kat crowed. "She is my MBF!"

I have been thinking a lot about, why this has left me so divided. Why so much promise, great ideas feel like they were squandered. And frankly I think it might be the writing style? It felt terribly woody at time, but at others, it was great. Overall not my favorite prose, but it does have promise.


I guess if I would have to sum this up in one word: inconsistent would be the one I would choose. Though I should also admit, that I am super fussy about writing style, that a lot of people will enjoy the melodramatics and that I really wanted to like this more. I just didn't.
So better than ok but just not quite for me.

Oh  and the big question: Will I read the next one? YEP. Not only because I have hopes for it to be better.  No as I said, I genuinely liked the group of friends and I love the idea and inspiration behind it all. *whispers* and me likes Max ---So fingers-crossed all my inconsistency issue will be void and fun & quirky will prevail!




Rating: 




(click on the name for reviews of this geek)


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...