Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Review: Locked by Eva Morgan


Locked


Author: Eva Morgan
Publisher: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
Series: Locked #1
Pages: Kindle Edition, 219 pages
Genre: Young Adult
Release Date: February 10th 2014



Summary:

When eighteen-year-old Irene Adler meets her new neighbor, the gorgeous, brilliant, and arrogant Sherlock Holmes, she never expects him to be the one to make her feel like life is worth living again. Ever since her sister's death, she's been addicted to risk-taking as a way to deal with her depression, and Sherlock quickly becomes the biggest risk she's ever taken.

Locked is the story of a broken girl and the genius who gives her life back to her. It's the story of a witty asshole who's never known love, and the girl who shows him what love means. It's the story of an unexpected connection, two people who save each other, and the importance of seeing the goodness underneath.

*Based on the Sherlock Holmes series by Arthur Conan Doyle.

**Book 1 in the Locked series.





Review:

I didn’t know I was in a mood for a book like this till I read it. Locked is everything I like in a book wrapped in a pretty cover. It is short, like finish it in a single sitting short (which I did, lying on bed till morning 6 am btw), humorous (I cracked up a number of times. I haven’t in ages, reading all these depressing fantasy rebellion series), with a captivating writing style (as I said, finished it in a single sitting), and lovely if a little over-the-top-but-believable storyline. And then there are the characters. Characters that I can relate to. Characters that make me want to hit them in the head and then apologise for being aggressive. Characters that make me cry till I feel like I’m definitely dying because I can’t breathe (or maybe not enough sleep just makes me emotional. I never know the difference). Characters that make this book hard to put down.

Locked is a story about a young Sherlock Holmes meeting Irene, a depressed girl who piques his interest by proving his deductions wrong in their first meeting (He believes he’s never wrong and likes to prove it). Think of him as a Sheldon Cooper who smokes and annoys people by unraveling their secrets in seconds (but he does it with a sexy British accent). He is constantly moving to new places with his brother (whom I like to call “My-crotch” instead of Mycroft) because of his “unconventional” personality. It is a story about two people who don’t fit in with the rest of the world but with each other alone. It is a story with whimsical quips and adorable bantering that you’ll love till it becomes really sad and shocking. It is a story that when it ends, leaves you bereft of all happiness you felt, astounds you with the turn of events and overwhelms you with the roller coaster of emotions you’re put in. It is a story you don’t know you need to read till you read it.

Believe me; I’m still reeling with the whiplash the last few chapters gave me. I can keep ranting for hours discussing the last few chapters. Hell, I can make this whole review about the last few chapters and tell you what’s wrong and clichéd about it but at the same time give you reasons for why I love it while still debating if I’m furious, pissed, elated, unsurprised, shocked or just damn sleepy.

Okay, here come the spoilers. Do not read ahead or you’ll be mad at yourself for reading it. Even hate yourself a little. Not even kidding.

First off, I still am a little mad at Irene for doing what Mycrotch Mycroft asked her to do. I mean, I get it. I really do. She was scared and she had a right to be scared of getting too attached to Sherlock because he is dangerous and unpredictable. Also she was masochistic, so I get why she would punish herself by pushing him away, but I still don’t like it. She didn’t go back to him on her own terms. She started talking to him again only when Mycrotch Mycroft asked her to, and it gets me all riled up again.

Anyway, the other thing nagging me like an annoying fly circling around my head is the role Ethan played here. I’ve read and seen enough on obsession to know that Ethan’s fixation with Carol and then Irene is nothing but an expected mania. His infatuation leading to delusion and murder should make sense to me but I don’t understand why it doesn’t. I want it to not shadow everything I liked about the book but his actions and what they led to make me feel like the author just wanted to rip off a too drastic ending to continue the series. On one hand, I’m happy that there is going to be more of Sherlock and Irene but on the other hand, I’m too bloody pissed off to appreciate it. (Well, the unrevealed release date for the sequel isn’t comforting either.)

Lastly, I just want to shake and scream at Sherlock while bitch-slapping him for being so stubborn and daft and ridiculous and moronic and lovable and adorable and cocky and brilliant and UGH! You stupid piece of shit, why would you do that to ME?! And to Irene too!?

*tries to calm down*

So..the second book better be interesting. I’m nervous and giddy about it at the same time. I hope it doesn’t succumb to the second book syndrome and doesn’t become a drag. I hope I still love the characters as fiercely as I do right now. I hope Mycrotch Mycroft is able to persuade Sherlock or offer him a proposition or whatever. *sigh* I’m hoping I didn’t hope for too much.


Rating: 







(click on the name for reviews of this geek)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...