Friday, January 15, 2016

Review: The Mother Road by Meghan Quinn


The Mother Road


Author: Meghan Quinn
Publisher: Hot-Lanta Publishing, LLC
Pages: Paperback, 358 pages
Genre: New Adult
Release Date: January 12th 2016



Summary:

Never in a million years would I have pictured myself as an axe-wielding, dragon lady, chopping up multi-colored flannel shirts into my very own plaid mulch. But here I am, chopping away my frustrations.

It all started when my brother, Paul, convinced me to go on one last family road trip across the Mother Road with him and my dad.. Just like old times, right? Wrong. What Paul fails to mention is his best man, Porter, will be joining us, who just so happens to be my childhood crush and the man who broke my heart four years ago.

What is supposed to be a fun, family bonding experience across Route 66 turns into a war of pranks, awkward moments and bathrooms full of dirty flannel shirts and day old beard clippings. Paul’s know-it-all attitude and Porter’s devilish charm brings me to the brink of my sanity on my seven day trek across the United States with three bearded men in a small 1980’s RV




Review:

The first reason why I was drawn to The Mother Road was the cover. Yep, really. I am a cover slut after all and this one? Pweeeeety.
Then the title.. I mean hello?! Anything that could involve a road trip... worth reading in my books.
The third and final reason why I chose this, the blurb.
Sounds so like my kinda book.
Well I knew this can go only one of two ways- I was going to love or loath it. AND. *looks at the rating*  lurve it. I did.

I have never read anything by Quinn before, but the first thing I did after finishing this, browse amazon and get myself another book written by her. Because honestly I love how this was written.
The Mother Road is written in first person, alternating POV of Porter and Marley. It's in fact written like the two of them are friends and they telling you their side of the story. I loved both POV. And mostly though I loved the humor. This is really funny. So funny that I kept chuckling - Mr. O kept asking me what was so funny.. which meant I had to tell him.. which started getting annoying because I have so little reading time atm and I really wanted to enjoy the book...- Any way, this is hilarious. It has some absolutely beautiful and really funny moments. I love Quinn's humor.
Her writing style is witty, spunky and descriptive.

The story line is just like the blurb says. Essentially we have 4 people going on a road trip as a lot big hurray, eating a whole lot of hot dogs and playing lots of odd games, while reminiscing and honouring the past, but also making new memories.
As I said my kinda book. But if you expect loads of beautiful description of the landscape... not gonna happen. While they are on the road, their journey in a way is much more inward. This is all about those 4 people and their bonds. In the best possible way. Don't get me wrong, there are some great description, but there are way more great moments. I think they could have traveled to Mars, it wouldn't matter. (Well, obviously it does, because this trip has a personal meaning to them) But the point is, that Quinn writes this beautifully. I felt like I was on the road with them. And honestly she get's the balance just right. This isn't a travel novel after all. But you get the feel of the places they are at.
For someone who traveled a lot and who has done loads and loads of road trips The Mother Road felt like I was on the journey. All the ups and downs were in this. The mishaps that could happen... the private jokes one gets, the funny and the ugly it was all there. This felt authentic.
Then there are lots of foodie references. (that leads me to the question is there really a secret menu?!!)
I think I would be friends with Marley and Porter in RL... Paul... hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Weeeeellll. Actually yeah, I have a friend who Paul reminded me of. LOL. But I would draw the line on road trips.

Let's just put it out there: The Mother Road is completely and utterly character driving.
And Quinn did a fantastic job at character building. I honestly feel like I know all 4 of them. Like I was told the story by Porter and Marley. I felt their distress, was upset for them but also delighted and amused. Essentially we only get to know the 4 characters, we just get a small glimpse of a couple of others.  Quinn created four complex individual characters, but more than that she wove a picture of their relationships. There is no insta nothing here. But deep roots, complex relations and history. Each one of  them has a unique relationship with the others. They interwoven and all care for each other. And all of this feels like it could be real. There is no pretty or immaculate instead we get complicated and complex with real depth.


Another real romance book that is a must read IMO.


Rating: 





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...