Monday, March 21, 2016

Review: My Perfect Mistake by Kelly Siskind



My Perfect Mistake


Author: Kelly Siskind
Publisher: Forever Yours
Series: Over the Top #1
Pages: Paperback, 340 pages
Genre: New Adult
Release Date: April 5th 2016



Summary:

What happens in Aspen is definitely not staying in Aspen . . .


A girls' trip to Aspen was exactly what Shay needed to forget about her toxic ex-boyfriend. She's got her girls, pristine slopes for skiing, and hot guys everywhere. Of course, her epic self-rediscovery goes completely to hell when a wild (and deliciously hot) skier knocks Shay on her ass . . . and war is declared.

Kolton doesn't know what it is about Shay that makes him lose it. Not just his cool---although she does have an unholy gift for that---but his restraint. When anger gives way to explosive chemistry, they're both shaken with the intensity of it. But somewhere between lust and hate, Kolton and Shay realize they could have something real . . . if they don't kill each other first.





Review:

This left me totally divided. I adore bits and loathed others... But mostly My Perfect Mistake made clear that, Siskind's writing will keep me reading anything she throws at me!

I loved Siskind's prose in previous books. But then I also liked the storyline and loved the characters. With My Perfect Mistake it became clear that I am hooked by her writing. Whenever I put the book down and thought about it- there were so many things I found agitating. I am not a huge fan of some of the characters for examples, it's too insta, not sure about the plot... BUT the moment I started reading I was hooked, I didn't care about all the things I will be ranting in a bit. NOPE. Not at all. I gobbled it all nicely up. And that my friends is fantastic writing in my books.

The plot starts off as super-insta-lust. Then take a turn to wait-we-might-have-a-connection to let's-play-coy to full-on-love-and-happiness, another drama-that-makes-wanna-punch-the-two-idiots and finishes with a swoony HEA.
I loved the Aspen bits, even if it was totally insta. I loved the chemistry between Shay and Kolton. Though his "secret" and her quick-to-assume-attitude already were a bit off-putting. I liked the banter and the quick back and forth, the competitive little fights, it's explosive and fun.
Then I found myself hoping that Siskind is going to take a 180 and do it all slow-like... but sadly that didn't happen, so while I found the middle entertaining- I also found it a bit too crafted, trying too hard to be quirky but still cliche.
The last bit, honestly, I totally inhaled it. BUT I was kinda so over all the dramas. As a commitment-phobe I had lost my patience with the excuse of being scared of commitment or hiding behind the past. While it was a joy to read it also felt drawn out. -see? Divided!

I liked Kolton. Who wouldn't? Show me one girl that wouldn't wanna be wooed by him. Yeah, even I would. In fact he is the saving grace of this story. I loved his POV. I found him interesting and could relate to him... and yeah bring on the wooing dude, I would totally cave first minute.
Shay, though I do kinda like her, grated on me. I get her issues- well she rasped on and on and on about it, so there is no missing it. I can't really relate, simply because I have never been in that situation, it's kinda so contrary to my character. But I know it's distinctly possible to be in her situation. I felt really sympathetic for the first 20% then I just felt like she is milking it.
Jackson is sweet, and while I liked him, I found at times that it felt like Siskind is trying to hard to make him a unique character. It felt constructed.
In fact at time the entire support cast felt a wee bit too cliche. But I actually didn't mind it most of the time.
Having said that Shay was annoying, I also have to say, that there were great moments of her character growth. She did make changes that were awesome and I liked that she gradually got her confidence back. So again, I liked parts of the character building and others not so much.

So basically very well written cute & fluffy, that was highly entertaining but a bit too melodramatic at times and a wee bit too drawn out.
Now. The big question is: When is Lily's book coming out?


Rating: 










No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...