Sunday, March 2, 2014

Review: Two Lies and a Spy by Kat Carlton


Two Lies and a Spy

Author: Kat Carlton
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Series: Two Lies and a Spy #1
Pages: Hardcover, 256 pages
Genre: Young Adult
Release Date: month 1, 2013


Summary:

Kari plunges into the world of espionage on a mission to save her parents while trying to impress the guy she’s been in love with forever.

When sixteen-year-old Kari’s dad sends her an unexpected text, she and her brother immediately go into hiding. Because when your parents are superspies and your dad declares a Code Black, it can only mean something bad. Very bad.

Kari soon discovers that her parents have been disavowed and declared traitors, and she’s determined to clear their names. Breaking into the Agency seems like a reasonable plan, especially with the help of a team that includes her longtime crush, Luke, as well as her two best friends—an expert hacker with attitude and a master martial artist—and Luke’s popular, vindictive twin sister. Oh, and a new guy, who’s as cute as he is complicated...



Review:

To be honest when I started this book I was thinking: Oh dear this is going to be another spy kids!
But I am pleased to say: well it isn't.
Yeah the main thread evolves parent spies, and the plot is a huge adventure spun around finding them, but this I am glad to say is better. Way better.

I seriously enjoyed reading this. It's fun, exhilarating and thrilling.
I read it in one sitting. The non-stop action told from Kari's POV.

Thought there were moments, that were kinda bordering impossible at the time. I never actually sat up and remarked it. I read on, and things fell into place, making the plot acceptable. The plot is non-stop action. It walks the fine line of total ridiculous and believable extremely well. Which is what makes this so entertaining. I gotta say that I was not surprised about any of the twists- in fact I saw them coming. But it didn't matter.

The story was so well told, which is what kept me on my toes. The writing style is contemporary and fun. Not super-descriptive or beautiful, it's to the point; fitting to the fast paced story line, and the person who tells it. It makes this a pleasure to read.

While some of the side characters were kinda cliche, I loved the gang. Kari's worries and emotions were relatable and believable. I adore Evan btw!

My biggest issue was the end, it wasn't only predictable, it felt too sudden and too convenient. The villain was a tad bit too much for my taste.

I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series!


Rating: 



(click on the name for reviews of this geek)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...