Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Review: The King by J.R. Ward


The King

Author: J.R. Ward
Publisher: Penguin Group (USA)
Series: Black Dagger Brotherhood #12
Pages: ebook, 592 pages
Genre: Romance, PNR
Release Date: April 1, 2014


Summary:

J.R. Ward's # 1 New York Times bestselling Black Dagger Brotherhood continues as a royal bloodline is compromised by a grave threat to the throne.

Long live the King…

After turning his back on the throne for centuries, Wrath, son of Wrath, finally assumed his father’s mantle--with the help of his beloved mate. But the crown sets heavily on his head. As the war with the Lessening Society rages on, and the threat from the Band of Bastards truly hits home, he is forced to make choices that put everything--and everyone--at risk.

Beth Randall thought she knew what she was getting into when she mated the last pure blooded vampire on the planet: An easy ride was not it. But when she decides she wants a child, she’s unprepared for Wrath’s response--or the distance it creates between them.

The question is, will true love win out... or tortured legacy take over?


Review:

Damn, she did it again! :(((

Not as bad as in Lover at Last, but still, here again, the story is drawn and lost in the middle of too many uninteresting povs/subplots.

To be honest, the first 60 percents of the book didn't rate a 2 stars but I enjoyed most, not all, of the last 40. So lets be generous and say that I enjoyed 30 % of this 592 pages book.

The things I didn't like:
- The structure. Exactly like in Lover at Last. A story is or isn't interesting. Cutting all the few interesting scenes at "interesting" moments only manages one thing: annoy the reader even more than she/he already is.

- The political plot is weak and I think this is the main reason of the so many nonsensical sub plots/povs.

- Not enough of the brotherhood.

- All those questions opened in the previous books and still left without answers.

- I already said it for Lover at Last, but lets say it again, all the passages related to Sola, Assail or Assail & Sola (and they are many of them).

- Trez. So far I found him entertaining. But here? Nope. I just found him annoying. And he too, had quite a bit of pages dedicated to himself.

- For the first time, Layla. (view spoiler)

- My favorite chapters are 50, 51, 65 and the last. They are so few that I can actually count them. :(

- John Matthew. I like him a lot but the teasing about his reincarnation annoyed the hell out of me. Just spill it out, already!

- The fact that because 70 % of the book was boring doesn't make it an "ok" book.

- Because they are dating the books, I'm not sure so many Pop Culture references is a good idea. Also, they mess up with the series' timeline. Besides, Miley Cyrus? Really?

The things I liked:
- The parallels between Wrath and Wrath's parents.

- Wrath, Beth and Wrath & Beth passages.

- Lassiter. Lets say it, he was just EPIC!

- The too few parts with the brothers.

- The fact that JR Ward came back to Wrath & Beth makes sense. But still, between books 11 and 12 there is one too many book.

- The too few good parts, were JRW vintage.

"What the fuck is that?"
At the sound of V's voice, John turned with the rest of them... and when he saw what was up at the head of the grand staircase, he blinked once. Twice. Twelve times.

"Wait, wait, wait." V waved his hand-rolled around. "I'm the son of a deity and she picked you?"
"You can call me Pastor – and before Mr. Sox Fan gets his panties in a wad, I want everyone to know I'm legit. I went online, took a minister's course in under an hour, and I'm ordained, baby."

I stopped buying the paper books with Thor's book and I don't regret that decision.





Rating: 








(click on the name for reviews of this geek)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...